Sunday, May 31, 2009

Football Night to Champions Night

Last Saturday, we had this so called Champions Night. It is a Sports Night, organised by an indipendent body, actually consists of the Student Council working together with the presidents of sports clubs in Curtin. O well.

The night went very well, up to their plan. Congratulation guys. U did it!!

It took me back to somewhere around the same time of the sem last semester, when we had Football Night. From a boring unglamourous prize giving ceremony of Curtin League at the field, PeeChe came out with this idea, to organise an event, at a proper place, together with dinner, to celebrate the winners of Curtin League.

Idea accepted. Shannon offered a hand to PeeChe. While Chris gave a huge support to them. And me? I agreed with them, but I got too occupied to directly involve. So yea, me being the president of CFC that time, delegated that CFC Nite task to them. Yes. 3 musketeers. Great musketeers that invented the event, with "My favorite team" theme. The hero, PeeChe, Shannon, Chris.

O well, that time was also the election time of Student Council. The laeding party, was opposed by some individuals. And the individual includes Ranulph running for President post. Something that did not happen before, a single (I mean individu instead of party,...haha) man, fight for that post, against a quite strongly supported party. PLus some more individual, with a strong-enough character.

And yea, by the time event is going on, they are still in campaign term, so as a club under Student Council, we shouldn't be bias to any side as it could jeopardise the club's "luck" in future. So yea, the night happened, as we imagine. To be frank, the flow was kinda scrappy, but OK. OK as in acceptably succesful. Great job to everybody that got involved, including the "disabled-MC" and his partner. Haha.

So, I remember in my speech (oh I got it recorded, and I found out later that I had too many "OK" in my speech. Haha), I did mention this one thing, suggesting to NEXT student council, whoever the president is, to try together with the clubs to organise "Sports Night" so that the similar event, could be done, in a larger scale, more people, more content.

Oh, actually even since PeeChe came out with that idea, we all already thought of Sports Night. It wasn't my idea alone. Chris wanted it too. So as Shannon.Also Jojo was there with us in most of our discussion session for CFC Nite. And we actually voiced it to the running-president Ranolph bout it (cause Ranolph is everybody's friend compare to the party's president). So, yea, my task that night in that speech was just to OFFICIALLY suggest it to EVERYONE especially to the other club leaders.

I remember Fariq was there (Rugby), Jojo(Badminton), Ranolph(Basketball) and funny enough while giving my untexted speech, I tried to read Chris mouth as he tried to tell me Volleyball and Swimming club president was also around. Lucky enough I read him, and greet their support to our event at that time also. So, that's it, I mean that's it with Football Night in 2008. A rare occasion that lead to something after that.

At the end, 30 May 2009 saw another history when the suggested Sports Night became reality. It was not under Student Council as predicted. But the council president himself gather all the clubs leaders, and get the committee together, successfully there.

Pingpong, football, rugby, swimming, volleyball, basketball, badminton (that's all i can remember) were all there. Cricket was missing. Frisbee(is it even a sport?) not there too. BUt yea, it was huge enough. Impressive!!

And I got goosebump when I heard Ranolph speech that nite. When he stepped up, I remember I was there, same place last time. But hearing his speech, telling everybody about the nite, and heard my own name mentioned as part of the OLD history of it, was really something special. Maybe not everybody in the crowd knows me. Only those who play rugby and football knows who is Tompoq. Pingpong, swimming, badminton, volleyball, basketball, I doubt they know Tompoq. But yea. Who cares aite?

It is not that people know and remember you that matters. It is you, doing something that has impact on things, that could be more satisfying. The feeling is a lot better than getting all the attentions. It is just the deep feeling inside your heart, and you'll just express it by a really meaningful smile, that maybe ONLY you know what is it. And maybe some people that was there along the way. They'll understand what its like.

And yea. It was a happy ending for me. Really. And that should go to thank PeeChe, Shannon and Chris for making Football Night last year a reality. Really. Without that spark, there won't be this Sports Night. You guys are meant to be part of this great history, and may this event held every semester to celebrate all the clubs activities through out the semester with this memorable way.

Congratulation!

No comments:

Post a Comment